Peer Supporter/Program Specialist – Mental Health/Substance Use Disorders
The Thomas M. Wernert Center (TMWC) is a mental health Peer Recovery Center that has several full and part time Peer Supporter/Program Specialist positions for enthusiastic, caring and patient individuals to offer hope, support, and encouragement to “members” (clients), who live with mental illness primarily and substance use disorders.
Responsibilities and Duties
Duties include but are not limited to; engaging members in conversation, playing cards, games, encouraging and participating in rec room activities such as playing pool, foosball, ping pong, indoor and basketball and shuffleboard, research topics and lead support meetings/groups, such as Men’s/Women’s Peer Clubs, while serving as a mentor and role model to all members and if candidate is a person in substance use recovery they will also facilitate Dual Recovery Anonymous and other similar meetings. TMWC is a clubhouse setting and as such light custodial duties are required to maintain cleanliness for a healthy and safe environment.
Experience, Educational Qualifications and Abilities
- High school diploma required; college preferred; experience or training directly related to the duties identified above may be substituted for education
- Ohio Peer Supporter Certification in Mental Health or Substance Use Disorders preferred
- Self identifies as a person in recovery living with mental illness and/or substance use disorder preferred
- Committed to personal recovery
- Exudes energy and enthusiasm
- Ability to motivate others
- Experience leading support meetings/groups
- Experience working with adults living with mental illness, substance use disorders, developmental disabilities or related fields in social service required
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, decision making, and problem solving skills
Valid driver’s license preferred
- Ability to drive a 10 passenger van is preferred (CDL is not necessary)
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Needs minimal or no oversight to complete duties
- Ability to address crisis situations while remaining calm
- Valid First Aid, CPR, and Crisis Intervention certification or will obtain upon hire
- Microsoft Office, Internet and email use required
Full Time Benefits Include: MEDICAL, DENTAL, LIFE, SHORT TERM DISABILITY, EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM, RETIREMENT AND PAID TIME OFF
- Criminal background and pre-employment drug screening required
Candidates are encouraged to check out www.wernertcenter.org, specifically the Encounters newsletter and calendar for more information on the Thomas M. Wernert Center prior to submitting the following:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references (Not family or friends)
Thomas M. Wernert Center
Attn: Kelly Skinner, Executive Director
208 W. Woodruff Ave.
Toledo, OH 43604
Job Type: Full-time and Part Time positions
Salary based on experience and Ohio Peer Supporter Certification: $13.00-$16.00 /hour
Submit resume, cover letter and professional references by 4 pm on 2/20/2020.