Compassion Health Toledo
Community Health Worker
Under direct supervision, works closely with supervisors, medical providers, primary care teams, and social services agencies to provide short term care coordination and connection to resources and support to program clients to improve their health and general well-being through education and provision of coordination of care and services. Works in both clinical and community-based settings, including client’s homes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists clients in their homes, community, or clinic setting. Communicates to clients/patients the purposes of the program and the impact it may have on their wellbeing. Helps patients identify socio-economic issues that affect their overall health and develop health/social management plans and goals.
- Documents all client encounters and contracts made on behalf of clients; completes and submits monthly reports; maintains comprehensive electronic client files, which include client notes, release of information, assessments and other medical documents acquired on behalf of the client. Documents activities, service plans, and outcomes achieved by clients in an effective manner.
- Educates clients on the proper use of the Emergency Room, and provides information for alternatives. Coaches patients in effective management of their chronic health conditions and self-care. Assists patients in understanding care plans and instructions. Motivates patients/clients to be active and engaged participants in their health and overall wellbeing.
- Assists clients in accessing health related services, including but not limited to: obtaining a medical home, providing instruction on appropriate use of the medical home, overcoming barriers to obtaining needed medical care and /or social services.
- Provides support and advocacy during initial medical visit or when necessary to assure clients’ medical needs and referrals required are being conveyed. Follow up with both clients and providers regarding health/social services plans.
- Continuously expands knowledge and understanding of community resources and services. Facilitates client access to community resources, including locating housing, food, clothing, prenatal classes, parenting, and providers to teach life skills, and relevant mental health services. Assists clients in utilizing community services, including scheduling appointments with social services agencies and assisting with completion of applications for programs for which they may be eligible.
- Facilitates communication and coordinate services between providers and the clients/patients. Coordinates and monitors services, including comprehensive tracking of clients’ compliance in relation to care plan objectives.
- Works collaboratively and effectively within a team. Establishes positive, supportive relationships with participants and provides feedback to other members of the team. Builds and maintains positive working relationships with the clients, providers, nurse case managers, agency representatives, supervisors and office staff, from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. Works to reduce cultural and socio-economic barriers between clients and institutions.
- Travels extensively to client homes, community locations, various agencies, and other outreach destinations.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelors welcomed but not required, at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge of community agencies and resources.
- Working knowledge of multi-system outreach programs related to health care delivery, clinical education, and health-related services
- Ability to plan, implement, and evaluate individual client care plans.
- Knowledge of transportation and other barriers to care that may be encountered by clients.
- Ability to communicate medical information to health care professionals and care coordinators over the telephone.
- Skill in use of personal computers and related software applications, including e-mail.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Creative and analytical thinking.
Conditions of Employment
- Possession of a valid Ohio driver’s license is a requirement for this job.
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal, drug, and tobacco free background check.
- Successful candidates must submit a pre-placement medical clearance.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, may be required for this position depending on assignment.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
Fulltime Position/ Payrange $17- $20