Defiance Area YMCA Executive Director Job Posting
The Defiance Area YMCA Board of Trustees is searching for a dynamic, mission-driven leader to serve as the Executive Director for the Defiance Area YMCA in Defiance, Ohio.
Location: Defiance, OH
Title: Executive Director – Defiance Area YMCA
FLSA Status: Exempt
Leader Level: Multi-Team or Branch Leader
Reports to: President/CEO, YMCA of Greater Toledo as well as Board of Trustees of Defiance Area YMCA
Supervises: Branch Staff and Volunteers including Operations and Program Directors
Apply directly to: Mark Brunsman, Chief Resource Officer, YMCA of Greater Toledo, [email protected]
Located in the heart of Northwest Ohio, the Defiance YMCA is a strong YMCA currently in a Management Agreement with the YMCA of Greater Toledo. This is an Association with a $1.3 million budget size and has a rich and vibrant history of serving the community since 1967. The Defiance Area YMCA serves 5,000 members in a culturally diverse, wonderful, family centered community with nearly 17,000 residents. The facility consists of an indoor lap pool, indoor therapy pool, whirlpool, steam room, sauna, a 4-court gymnasium, free weight room, cardio room, new Free Motion strength equipment, gymnastics center, onsite preschool and school age child care center and several studios and classrooms for all types of programs. The Defiance Area YMCA Board of Trustees is a very passionate and active group of men and women committed to serving the community. The Defiance Area YMCA also has an Annual Campaign with a goal of $40,000 to support families and individuals in the community.
Visit our website for additional details www.defianceymca.org
This position, as top administrative staff person, is responsible for day-to-day general administration of the branch including staff supervision and coaching, budgeting, expense control, income generation, program development and quality control, board and committee development, community relations, collaborations, long-range planning and facility maintenance. The Executive Director also provides direction and leadership for the achievement of goals in accordance with the policies, procedures and standards established by the Board that will advance the mission of the YMCA.
The Defiance Area YMCA is currently in a Management Agreement with the YMCA of Greater Toledo.
Bachelor’s degree in human services, social services, business or equivalent preferred. Six or more years of management experience, preferably in a YMCA or other nonprofit agency required. Ability to direct total operations through volunteer development, supervision of staff, development and monitoring of branch budget, marketing and public relations, and program development. Experience in management and development of volunteer involvement; ability to recruit top community leaders. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community. Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others. Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations. Strong writing, verbal and presentation skills. Physical and mental requirements include considerable sitting, standing, walking, written and verbal communication, and an ability to handle stress and multiple priorities.
YMCA Organizational Leader certification preferred.
Core and Strategic Functions
High Quality Programs, Services and Facilities
- Direct and administer total operation of the branch including the interpretation and execution of established policies, the development of procedures and methods, staffing, evaluation of the effectiveness of the programs and operation.
- Plan and conduct a wide variety of programs and activities that maximize the facilities available, support the Cause and enhance membership.
- Create a nurturing and safe environment by reporting suspicious activity that may lead to child abuse or may violate the code of conduct. Ensure the safety and maintenance of high quality facilities, grounds, and equipment by keeping supplies organized, maintain a clean facility and care for equipment.
- Promote and monitor membership growth, taking a leadership role in membership cultivatio
Staff and Volunteer Management
- Recruit, hire, supervise and develop department staff and volunteers through use of Leadership Competency Model resources.
- Coordinate the development of the branch committees. Directs the volunteer activities of the branch.
- Work with the Board of Trustees to further the work of the branch.
- Prepare annual budget for approval by the Board of Trustees in coordination with the President/CEO of the YMCA of Greater Toledo.
- Recommend adjustments and administer the budget, exercising necessary controls to ensure operations that are consistent with the goal of a balanced operational budget.
- Represent and promote the YMCA in the local community and develop positive working relationships with other organizations, businesses, and governmental entities. Develops, maintains, and models collaborative relationships with community agencies in service delivery area.
- Interpret and communicate the objectives and programs of the YMCA through public communication media and active participation in community organizations.
- Incorporate storytelling in an effort to advance our mission and financial development efforts.
- Organize and conduct Annual Support Campaign efforts in close harmony with staff and volunteers and in accordance with the standards of the Association.
- Serve as the leader of Y management and support the overall objectives of the YMCA.
- Accountability, professionalism, relationship based behavior, and ethical behavior are required at all times.
- Lead the advancement of our work in Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility
- Incorporate Living Our Cause into work products and behavior.
YMCA Competencies: Organizational Leader
- Community – Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the Y’s efforts for all stakeholders.
- Philanthropy– Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
- Relationships– Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the Y.
- Finance – Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies, and financial controls.
- Quality Results –Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
- Emotional Maturity – Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning.