Position Title: Data Analyst Intern
Department: Community Analytics & Research
Location: TOLEDO OFFICE
Reports to: Sr. Director, Community Research & Analytics
STATEMENT OF THE JOB
Our semester-long opportunity is specifically geared towards Senior and first year Master’s standing students who are interested in pursuing a career centered on Research, Data & Analytics. The funding of this program is made possible by one of United Way’s generous corporate sponsors, who also finds value in cultivating the next generation of philanthropic leaders.
JOB PURPOSE AND SCOPE
The Data Analyst will assist in, validating, comparing, reporting and analyzing data in order to assist the organization and partnering agencies with advanced analytics and other data products. The Data Analyst will receive instruction on how to fill requests from this office to provide insight from the Sr. Director of Community Analytics and Research. This position will help maintain analytic reports and registries while also completing ad hoc analysis as needed. This data will be extracted from operationally based systems and requires a strong understanding of querying data for items such as mapping, population identifiers, test scores, health rankings and other dimensions of community impact performance. Additionally, the Data Analyst will assist in identifying opportunities to improve accuracy in support of both outside agencies and internal programs that track indicators of quality, costs and outcomes. The Data Analyst will need subject matter knowledge of data as well as statistical methods for the completion of difficult assignments.
United Way of Greater Toledo is in operation from 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Specific days in the office and hours worked are flexible, based on the student’s class schedule. You will be expected to work, at maximum, 20 hours per week.
- Assist in analysis and reporting of data including:
- Evaluating data regarding performance, utilization, quality of program and student measures against results from peer institutions
- Assist in conducting analyses on cost performance and facilitate assessment of program practice patterns.
- Validation of data quality and reasonableness in reports and/or analyses of services prior to distribution.
- Input of data visualization opportunities and report formats and graphical representations of data intended for broad audiences.
- Assist in analytic results by supporting the creation of complex algorithms to data which are extracted and integrated across multiple sources.
- Work with database and business systems analysts to analyze products and programs, including definition of data requirements, data capture and storage, and analyses required to measure and evaluate performance.
- Support translation of program and business needs into analytical solutions
- Communicate and collaborate with other departments and agencies to address problems with data quality.
- Help create mechanisms to extract and reorganize data from existing systems for storage and reporting in departmental databases.
- Maintain supporting documentation of measurement methods and algorithms, data sources and reporting processes.
- Follows all appropriate data quality and security guidelines.
Data mining & clean-up: (20%)
- Assist in mining and scrubbing existing data from multiple databases.
- Organize data prior to and following mining and scrubbing.
- Keep detailed records on all actions, processes and procedures.
- Coordinate with Director to determine timing of development efforts and key milestones
- Work with Director and IT staff to identify and automate tools that deliver routine performance information.
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and contribute to improvement efforts.
- Review reports and analysis, write findings. Test datasets.
- Work with Sr. Director to create training materials and organizational documentation.
- Additional duties as deemed necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree (Quantitative Field) with an advanced degree (biostatistics, public health, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Informatics) preferred.
Experience with Data Warehouse and BI systems
Experience collecting business requirements from clients and transforming the requirements into reports and analyses.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Expertise assisting in producing analytic products.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines in a fast paced and changing environment with multiple competing tasks and priorities.
- Support proficiency in the use of analytic and reporting tools such as Microsoft Excel, Tableau, ANDAR and any newly introduced systems.
- Strong customer service skills and commitment to excellent customer service.
- Ability to independently establish objectives, project plans and milestone goals.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good verbal, written and visual presentation skills.
- Ability to anticipate requests and needs in advance and plan accordingly.
- Skills to work effectively across internal functional areas in ambiguous situations.
We are an equal opportunity employer