Director of Major Gifts
Under limited supervision, the Director of Major Gifts assists with developing strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors with a special focus on five-figure multi-year gifts to support the Zoo’s Foundation, Capital Campaign, and related programs. Works closely with fellow Development team to align efforts and set goals. Reports to the Vice President of Development & Membership.
Director of Major Gifts:
- Identify major gift prospects through donor research to predict a donor’s ability and likelihood to give.
- Maintain detailed records in the Zoo’s software system as well as in electronic files, and regularly reports to donors on how their gifts are creating the desired impact.
- Cultivate major gift donations by building meaningful relationships with new, existing and potential donors.
- Knowledgeable about Toledo Zoo exhibits, activities, initiatives and programs so that donors can be engaged in the diversity of areas where they have a particular interest and the ability to provide financial support.
- Maintains regular contact with existing and potential donors, in one-on-one meetings as well as social engagements at the Zoo or in the community.
- Plans and organizes stewardship events for the Development team to stay engaged with donors.
- Develops funding proposals utilizing existing Zoo programs and initiatives as well as spearheading new ideas and concepts.
- Prepares and processes solicitation letters, brochures, correspondence, monthly reports, budgets, goals and objectives, etc.
- Independently organizes time and schedule, prioritizing activities and demonstrating the self-motivation to achieve the satisfaction of connecting donors to Zoo initiatives that fulfill their philanthropic desires.
Minimum Training and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in fundraising, communications or related field, along with three to five years of experience in fund raising, marketing, communications, or any equivalent combination of education and experience. This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and requires time worked in excess of forty hours per week. Must have a valid drivers’ license and insurable by the fleet insurance carrier. The Toledo Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer, a drug and alcohol free workplace and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.