The 577 Foundation is seeking a well-rounded, open-minded, responsible landscape gardener who can develop and maintain our beautiful organic grounds and flower beds for our visitors, community instructors, and staff to enjoy. This position is salaried with benefits.
QUALITIES OF AN IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Growth mindset with a commitment to lifelong learning and self-improvement. Motivated by curiosity.
- Flexibility and an ability to respond to a fast-paced environment that can involve unexpected changes with equanimity and a sense of humor.
- Innovative thinker who thrives on improving systems to make them efficient.
- Welcoming demeanor to everyone who comes to the Foundation; able to work effectively and compassionately in a culturally-diverse environment.
- Strong sense of professionalism, with unquestionable integrity and ethics.
- Demonstrates a sincere commitment to and passion for the mission of The 577 Foundation.
- Lead organic landscaping for The 577 Foundation.
- Establish and maintain perennial and annual garden areas, including nationally-recognized hosta garden, orchard, River Walk, and children’s natural playscape.
- Perform organic maintenance of landscaped bed areas including watering, weeding, planting, composting, pest and disease management, pruning, mulching.
- Monitor and maintain pond and aquatic life.
- Develop long-range plans for grounds, planting, and propagation in the greenhouses and cold frames.
- Keeping a well-groomed, clean, safe landscape environment.
- Lead on-site organic composting process.
- Assist in general care and maintenance of geodesic dome.
- Assist in Community Gardens and Heritage Garden.
- Assist in interior landscape and exterior planters.
- Perform general, preventative, landscape maintenance and repairs assigned by Director, Properties.
- Responsible for mowing the grounds, working around the busy facility schedule.
- Responsible for starting and maintaining the Book Center corn stove.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining the Bird Blind and Did’s Archaeological Dig.
- Lead snow removal from walking paths.
- Performs the monthly Preventative Maintenance (PM) tasks.
- Organize, monitor and maintain the landscaping tools and equipment shed.
- Assist in recruitment, orientation, and supervision of volunteers relative to job description.
- Responsible for task management of seasonal staff based on their assigned work projects.
- Perform administrative responsibilities relative to job description.
- Attend regular meetings.
- Establish and maintain a record keeping system.
- Return phone calls and email.
- Relate positively to visitors and those served by The 577 Foundation.
- Assist the Director, Properties in the preparation of budgetary requests.
- Assist in the research and gathering material lists and costs for projects assigned.
- Assist in purchasing and monitoring of equipment and supplies.
- Functions as part of a staff team in sharing the overall responsibilities: serving as Director on Duty, leading tours and field trips, greeting, hosting, parking, class check-ins, closing, and other related duties.
- Perform any and all other duties assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Knowledge, practice, and preference for organic gardening, specifically cultural landscape practices and bed maintenance.
- 4 years practical fieldwork, including greenhouse experience.
- Experience using landscaping design software such as SmartDraw.
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively on teams.
- Must be able to carry out the physical job requirements involving kneeling, bending, twisting, standing, working outside in all kinds of weather.
- Willingness to pleasantly serve visitors.
- Willing to work 40 hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- Must work well independently and also accept supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to pleasantly serve the public.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Graduated from College or University, a four-year degree (preferred) or associate degree in Landscape Design, Horticulture, Floriculture, related field, or equivalent experience.
Full time, non-exempt, salaried, year-round position. Willing to work 40 hours, with the ability to work some weekends, mornings and evenings, with flexible starting times that depend day-to-day based on the needs of the facility.
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Candidate review will begin on January 31, 2020, but we will continue to accept application materials until the position is filled.
ABOUT THE 577 FOUNDATION:
The 577 Foundation is a growing organization that nurtures innovative ideas and changes to reflect the interests and needs of the community. Each year, over 11,000 people visit 577 to tend gardens, take classes, hold meetings or trainings, and explore 577’s beautiful grounds.
In 2019, 577 was awarded the Garden Club of America’s Civic Improvement Commendation as a space where the community may explore, garden, be educated, and enjoy a sense of peace.
Founded by Virginia Secor Stranahan, The 577 Foundation is dedicated to preserving the integrity of her historic property. Open to all, 577 is an ecologically-sensitive place that encourages diversity and seeks to foster exploration, experimentation, personal enjoyment and creativity in education.