The Patient Access Manager is responsible for providing leadership for teams and processes related to patient access, scheduling, registration, phone communications, emails, automated systems, call center, related revenue cycle functions, and other assigned processes across the care continuum to ensure a high-value service is provided to our patients and stakeholders. This leader engages physicians, allied health providers, scheduling and support staff, and other professionals/employees with the mission, vision and values of Neighborhood Health Association, through their service to the organization in their assigned areas of responsibility.
The Patient Access Manager will assist in establishing call center/centralized scheduling objectives, provide representatives with opportunities to expand their knowledge of services, products, and troubleshooting techniques, analyze call center data, and focus on improving performance and processes to better support patients. As a leader, have accountability for performance related to employee engagement, customer satisfaction, quality metrics, growth of services, and financial performance indicators.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Provide Leadership – Engages team members and stakeholders with the Mission, Vision, and Values of NHA.
- Leads by demonstrating our corporate culture of performance expectations in daily interactions and by refocusing efforts towards the realization of NHA’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Management of Scheduling, Registration, and Verification Processes through the delivery of high-value patient scheduling, registration, insurance verifications, and communication processes for day-to-day operations for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Assures appropriate staffing levels and adequate supplies and equipment for all areas of responsibility across Patient Access Department. Works with NHA leadership to develop and encourage innovation of processes and growth of programs.
- Achieves success by meeting performance indicators, standards, and performance targets.
- Fiscal Responsibility – monitors, manages, and makes recommendations on key performance indicators.
- Monitors monthly financial reports related to fixed and variable costs within assigned areas of responsibility and provides input into the annual budget.
- Communicates regularly with Revenue Cycle Department to address denials, billing and collections issues and provides input into process improvement.
- Monitors staff productivity and adjusts staffing levels to achieve goals/standards.
- Oversees timekeeping functions for direct reports, approve time off and plans for coverage as needed.
Utilization of EHR and Technology – Understands and can effectively work with electronic medical record system(s).
- Works directly with NHA IT department, EHR support, clinical and front office staff to improve communications and documentation efficiencies.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office and software related to internal resource management.
Staff Selection, Development, Mentoring, and Performance Management-
- Leads selection, training and performance of staff related to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for assuring all staff maintain proper training related to pertinent skills, competencies, standards of behavior, and compliance.
- Conducts systematic performance review of all staff.
- Communicates and facilitates rapport with staff that secures a highly engaged team who consistently achieves patient satisfaction score goals.
- Maintains an active presence.
- Identifies process and systematic barriers to the delivery of superior patient experience.
- Participates with monthly NHA leadership and department operations meetings, reporting relevant information back to staff.
- Conducts weekly/monthly staff meetings.
- Assures and promotes the professional growth and development of staff.
- Demonstrates and promotes a work environment that adheres to NHA’s performance standards and Values.
- Promotes interdepartmental partnerships, collaborating with other departments and institutions to facilitate optimal patient care at NHA.
Quality Improvement – Responsible for collection and analysis of data for quality improvement activities focused on patient experience and resource utilization.
- Promotes an environment that stimulates continuous quality improvement initiatives, allowing staff members to contribute to the operational and strategic planning of the Patient Access department.
- Reviews annual patient satisfaction scores and patient comments and reports results to staff. Initiates follow-up/service recovery as needed based on patient comments.
- Responsible for facilitating action plans for staff to improve patient satisfaction scores.
- Analytical – Experience with data analysis, design, workflow, procedures and problem solving.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements)
- Degreed with 3-5 years progressive customer service experience, prior management or supervisory experience.
- Experienced in financial management of resources (fixed and variable costs) to achieve organizational goals.
- Experience with communications technology and software implementation and training.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and management proficiency to effectively build department culture.
- Ability to multitask and remain professional under pressure, especially during peak hours or intense situations.
- Competence with Microsoft Office, and a demonstrated ability to learn and be proficient in new computer software including Electronic Health Record practice management and clinical modules.
- Analyze department results and implement action plans toward performance improvement
- Troubleshoot operational problems.
- Serves as point for situations requiring advance expertise or discernment to resolve complex patient access issues and ensure timely follow up and customer satisfaction.
- Identify and analyze escalated problems and provide guidance to direct reports for resolution.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in successful customer service improvement and service recovery efforts.
- Able to respond to highly variable workload volumes
- Presents professionally
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health, dental, vision, life & retirement plans, 11 paid holidays and four weeks of accrued paid time off (PTO) annually.
Candidates must provide salary requirements to be considered for interview.
We are a drug free workplace, and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Our Mission: Through our exceptional health care services, we empower and educate, aggressively working to eliminate health care inequities, while supporting personal responsibility for one’s own health regardless of the ability to pay.