Job Title: Volunteer and Event Coordinator
Corps: Northwest Ohio Area Services
Reports To: Operations Manager
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The Volunteer and Event’s Coordinator’s responsibilities include developing, recruiting and training new volunteers, keeping a database of volunteer information and skills, matching volunteers to opportunities that suit their skills, keeping volunteers informed, and conveying the organization’s purpose to the public. The Volunteer Coordinator works primarily in fundraising events and will be responsible to develop the plans for such events as well as supply volunteers for NWOAS. Large event planning is done in conjunction with the Operations Manager and the Area Coordinators.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, promote and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the organization.
Survey staff regularly to assess needs for volunteer assistance.
Maintain Volunteer Service Descriptions for each volunteer assignment.
Ensure volunteers are staffed to support the various areas of operations to include: bellringing, Hope for the Holidays toy collection drive, Angel Tree, Red Kettle Run, Toy sorting and distribution, Summer fundraising event and back to school supply drive, sorting and distribution.
Recommend the most efficient use of volunteers, appropriate volunteer/supervisory mix, and future workforce needs to support volunteer program operations.
Conduct and/or arrange for volunteer orientation and training
Schedule all volunteer activity
Develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures, and standards of volunteer service in accordance with Salvation Army procedure such as KeepSafe policy for working with children.
Organize and participate in volunteer recognition programs and special events.
Evaluate all aspects of volunteer programs to ensure effectiveness and to recommend/implement changes as appropriate.
Maintain accurate records and provide timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation.
- Recruit, interview and place applicants for volunteer work at various fundraising event and in regular positions within the Army’s scope of daily work.
Host and attend recruiting event within the community to attract qualified candidates.
Work with Marketing and Public Relations and professional associations to publicize opportunities for volunteers.
Develop and maintain relationships with other volunteer organizations within in the area.
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for volunteers.
Act as a single point of contact for communications.
Confer with volunteers to resolve grievances and promote cooperation and interest.
- Create and distribute various communications and publications.
Author newsletter (Previously email newsletter).
Facilitate distribution of information relevant to volunteers.
Author written communication such as email communication and media releases.
- Track and report volunteer hours on a monthly basis
- Anything else that is required especially events requiring “all hands’ on deck” such as Christmas food and toy distribution.
MINIMUM EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Associates Degree or two years’ experience in job related field such as non-profit work or managing volunteer programs.
SPECIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Must be familiar with all applications of Microsoft Office
- Some knowledge of Volgistics (Volunteer logistics database) a plus
- Meticulous at keeping records
- Excellent communication skills – able to converse with potential volunteers
- Excellent writing skills – able to write coherent emails and volunteer job descriptions
- Customer service skills – able to pleasantly respond to the needs of volunteers
- Training skills – able to create and implement on the job training
- Must Learn REGISTER TO RING
Send Resumes to: Elizabeth.Schwandt@use.salvationarmy.org by Friday, February 19, 2021