POSITION: Community Engagement Specialist (Recycling and Litter)
STATUS: Full Time, Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
LOCATION: Keep Toledo/Lucas County Beautiful, Inc. (KT/LCB)
1011 Matzinger Rd
Toledo, OH 43612
CLOSING DATE: April 19th, 2021
Keep Toledo/Lucas County Beautiful is an Equal Opportunity, At Will Employer
The Community Engagement Specialist (Recycling and Litter) is primarily responsible for managing all aspects of KT/LCB’s Litter Reduction Initiatives, Recycling Collections, and Event Recycling/Composting.
KT/LCB is dedicated to establishing greener communities through environmental education, litter prevention and voluntary partnerships. KT/LCB is a non-profit 501 (C) (3) organization and an affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, Inc., the nation’s leader in litter prevention, recycling, waste reduction, and community beautification.
The ultimate goal of KT/LCB is to raise awareness of solid waste handling practices and options for businesses, organizations and residents so that each takes personal responsibility to improve our environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Develop, plan, coordinate, and manage events/programs related to litter reduction, waste reduction, composting, and recycling.
Develop relationships with event coordinators and community partners to strengthen our impact in the community.
Plan and/or attend organizing planning meetings.
Recruit and manage volunteers to assist with collections, event recycling, and litter cleanups. This includes engaging with other non-profits, community groups, and corporate organizations to form volunteer teams.
Work with community partners to find end-users for recyclables collected, such as Styrofoam, Campaign Signs, Compostables, and more. This may include inspecting, sorting, and organizing recyclables prior to delivery.
Assist the Executive Director in soliciting sponsorships and general fundraising to support litter cleanups, event recycling/composting, and collection events.
Represent KT/LCB at all Engage Toledo Events as well as other community recycling collections, vendor fairs, and appropriate festivals/community events.
Assist the Executive Director in representing KT/LCB through continuation of relationships with local officials, businesses, community groups and media.
Oversee all KT/LCB Litter Reduction Initiatives including:
• Litter Cleanup equipment requests – fulfillment, tracking, and logistics support.
• Litter/Recycling box requests – fulfillment, tracking, and logistics support.
• Adopt-a-Road – tracking, logistics support, and soliciting new road “adoptions”.
• Toledo Litter League – tracking, marketing, logistics support, and soliciting new groups to participate.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Prepare program plans, goals, objectives, budgets and other materials as needed.
• Attend community events and meetings for KT/LCB to promote the organization.
• Attend workshops and seminars as needed.
• Prepare and submit updates, reports, etc. as needed and required.
• Assist Executive Director in grant writing as it relates to this position.
• Provide good customer service and assist with any issues that may arise at events/collections.
• Collection of appropriate volunteer forms (waivers / medical information), and record keeping / paperwork completion.
• Perform other duties as specified.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. Prior Event Management and/or Volunteer Management experience is a plus.
• Basic knowledge of recycling and sustainable trends, issues, and concerns.
• Must have a valid driver’s license with driving privileges in the State of Ohio.
• Excellent communicator and creative thinker who is organized and can handle multiple projects as a time.
• This position requires weekend work often, therefore the work schedule most weeks will be Tuesday – Saturday. Occasional evenings and Sundays will also be required.
• Some planning and preparation work may be performed remotely and/or in the office, while most events will be primarily in person.
• The position requires the ability to work outside in all seasons/weather.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OR STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to exert up to one hundred pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to fifty pounds of force frequently, and/or up to twenty -five pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Work involves reaching, stooping, kneeling, standing and walking for periods of time. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of up to sixty -five pounds.
Communication: Requires the ability of speaking and/or signaling people to convey or exchange information. Includes the receiving of information and instructions from a supervisor and/or other staff. Includes giving instructions / safety instructions to volunteers.
Language Ability: Requires the ability to read a variety of documents and reports. Requires the ability to fill out reports and enter data on spreadsheets. Must be able to speak before an audience with poise, voice control and confidence.
Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record and deliver information and to follow verbal and written instructions.
Interpersonal Temperament: Has the ability to deal with people beyond receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under levels of stress when confronted with an emergency.
Quality of Work: Maintains high standards of accuracy in exercising duties and responsibilities. Exercises immediate remedial action to correct any quality deficiencies that occur. Maintains high quality communication and interaction with co-workers, volunteers, community partners, and the public.
Quantity of Work: Performs identified specific duties and responsibilities efficiently and effectively in order to produce quantity of work which consistently meets standards and expectations.
Dependability: Assumes responsibility for completing assigned work. Completes assigned work within deadlines in accordance with directives, KT/LCB policy, standards, and prescribed procedures. Remains accountable to assigned responsibilities in the technical, human and conceptual areas.
Attendance: Attends and remains at work regularly and adheres to KT/LCB policies and procedures regarding absences and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to management with respect to vacation time and time-off requests.
Initiative and Enthusiasm: Maintains an enthusiastic, self-reliant and self-starting approach to meet job responsibilities and accountabilities. Strives to anticipate work to be done and initiates proper and acceptable direction for the completion of work with a minimum of supervision and instruction.
Judgment: Exercises analytical judgment. Identifies or assists in identifying alternative solutions to problems or situations. Implements decisions in accordance with prescribed and effective policies and procedures and with a minimum of errors. Seeks expert or experienced advice where appropriate and researches problems, situations and alternatives before exercising judgment.
Planning: Plans, directs, and uses information effectively in order to enhance activities. Knows and understands the expectations of KT/LCB and works to see that these expectations are met. Within constraints of KT/LCB policy, formulates appropriate strategy and tactics for achieving objectives.
Leading: Provides a work environment which encourages clear and open communications. Exercises enthusiasm in influencing and guiding others toward the achievement of KT/LCB mission and goals.
Creativity: Regularly seeks new and improved methodologies, policies, and procedures for enhancing the effectiveness of mission fulfillment. Employs imagination and creativity in the application of duties and responsibilities. Is not adverse to change.
Applicants must submit cover letter, resume, and references by 4:30pm on April 19, 2021 to:
Adam Cassi – Executive Director
Keep Toledo/Lucas County Beautiful
For mailed copies, use:
1011 Matzinger Road
Toledo, OH 43612