Salary: $70,000+, commensurate with experience; excellent benefits including generous time-off, comprehensive health insurance and benefits
Location: Office-based position located in Toledo, Ohio; frequent travel up to 45 miles
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter in one document by end of day, Friday, September 29 to:
Aly Sterling Philanthropy
Reports to: Area Coordinator for Northwest Ohio Area Services
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB
The Director of Advancement (DofA) will play an integral role in the success of Northwest Ohio Area Services’ (NWOAS) fund development efforts, working cooperatively with divisional and territorial professionals on all major gifts, annual fundraising efforts, and legacy gift planning in accordance with territorial standards. The DofA is directly responsible for building relationships with mid-and-major level donors, solicitating corporate support/sponsorships, and enhancing community engagement efforts. Additionally, the DofA will oversee grant research and writing, fundraising events, public relations, board engagement, kettles, donor stewardship efforts, and organized volunteerism. The DofA will also manage all aspects of Northwest Ohio’s gift processing activities, adhering to the territorial standards and requirements related to the CRM system (Salesforce).
The DofA will work directly with (dotted line reporting relationship) the Divisional Director of Development along with leadership (solid line reporting relationship) and staff for the Northwest Ohio Area Services Command to advance the mission priorities of Northwest Ohio in an optimal way. The right candidate will operate creatively and effectively to draw on significant wealth in the region. Building relationships with Corps Officers and Service Center personnel; with NWOAS leadership; with NWOAS Advisory Board; and with leaders in key program areas such as Emergency Disaster Services, will be critical to connecting donors and prospects with major giving opportunities, further enhancing regional fundraising. The DofA will work hand in hand with the Divisional Donor Relations Director and Divisional Director of Gift Planning to engage successfully with high level donors and prospects and to steward those relationships well.
Candidates will thrive in a faith-based organization. While not required to embrace the tenets of The Salvation Army church, the DofA will be expected to promote and respect the organization’s mission.
He or she will directly report to the Area Coordinator at Northwest Ohio Area Services in Toledo and
have a dotted line reporting relationship with the Divisional Director of Development at Northeast Ohio’s Divisional Headquarters in Cleveland.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement The Salvation Army of Northwest Ohio’s organizational and individual giving programs, in cooperation with the Area Coordinator, Corps Officers and DHQ/THQ Community Relations and Development (CRD) teams.
- Develop and implement new fundraising and community engagement efforts for The Salvation Army, in cooperation with the Area Coordinators and Corps Officers.
- To provide leadership and instruction to Department staff, including the Coordinator for Volunteers & Events.
- Actively serve as The Salvation Army’s ambassador at community events (Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, events with government leaders, etc.).
- Collaboratively establish and create a strategic communication and fundraising plan to identify, educate, cultivate, steward, and solicit top donors and prospects in coordination with the divisional Donor Relations Director.
- Establish a portfolio made up of 50 corporate and major donors in year one, with annual goals associated with each donor. This caseload will be expanded in subsequent years.
- Lead PR efforts and fundraising event planning (in partnership with Coordinator for Volunteers and Events).
- Work with Coordinator for Volunteers and Events to develop a strong volunteer engagement program for corporate volunteers, churches, students, and major donors that will promote a close and meaningful connection with the Army and our mission and lead to giving.
- Identify potential foundation funders and develop grant proposals and reports on awarded grants.
- Engage with local companies for potential volunteer involvement, sponsorships, grants and cause-marketing revenue generation efforts (e.g. point of sale donations – involve DHQ CRD in cause-marketing conversations or those which go beyond the boundaries of NWOAS).
- Serve as liaison to the NWOAS board under direction of Area Coordinator, promoting strong board communications and engagement, including board giving and fundraising goals.
- Record activities and gifts in the donor database (Salesforce) for timely access and consistent sharing of donor information.
- Retain and upgrade donors through effective, warm, and personalized cultivation/stewardship activities. Facilitate site visits and develop fundraising collateral (including a case for support).
- Partner with the NEOSA Development Director, select divisional fundraising staff, advisory board members, and Salvation Army Officers to collaboratively chart the course forward through a strategic development plan.
- Establish strong working relationships with Corps officers and program staff, service units and special programs, to better understand Northwest Ohio’s Area Services’ fundraising needs and maximize participation of others – especially officers in donor interactions.
- Ensure that fund development is carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision, plans, policies, systems, and business rules.
- Travel regularly within the region, in collaboration with the divisional Donor Relations Director, to meet personally with donors and encourage officers and board members to participate in donor visits.
- Coordinate and invite divisional major gifts and gift planning professionals to be involved in one-on-one solicitations, gift acknowledgement, and stewardship communications.
- Work in conjunction with other fund development officers within the NEOSA Division and Salvation Army USA Eastern Territory, ensuring collaboration and coordination of direct marketing and digital fundraising efforts.
- Write customized proposals to individuals and corporations. These will include requests for financial gifts of specific amounts for specific purposes that match the donor’s interests.
- Work with Area Coordinator to ensure a strong Christmas kettles campaign and adherence to kettle retail partner requirements.
- As directed by the Area Coordinator of NWOAS, assume other responsibilities including but not limited to participation and attendance at Division events.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience giving assurance of ability to perform the job.
- A demonstrated track record of success in fundraising or similar activity requiring an equivalent skill set.
- Effective interpersonal skills and excellent written and oral communication abilities.
- Proven expertise in building and maintaining positive relationships with diverse individuals.
- A self-motivated professional with great problem-solving skills who exudes enthusiasm and energy along with a demonstrated ability to set and achieve goals and meet deadlines.
- Successful experience securing and stewarding grants.
- A high degree of comfort interacting with people of wealth and discussing complex, sensitive issues of personal and family finances; ability to “make the ask.”
- Willingness to travel regularly combined with the ability and commitment to nurture donor relationships effectively from a distance.
- A proficiency in Word and Excel; experience with donor tracking and/or database software is preferred.
- Collaborative and energetic team player.