Director of Education and Community Engagement
Imagination Station, Toledo’s Science Center is the region’s resource in interactive Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education. We offer a mind on, body on, hands on experience with hundreds of interactive exhibits, activities and demonstrations that teach vital science concepts. The science center is a hub of learning that provides the tools necessary to thrive in the 21st century and that shapes future scientists and innovators. We represent the idea that the sciences are more than theorems or formulas on a page, but are powerful concepts that can allow a wide-eyed child to ride a bike across a high wire and learn about where they get their energy.
DESCRIPTION: This position reports directly to the CEO. As a member of the Leadership Team, this position is a key organizational leader who works collaboratively to ensure the realization of the center’s mission and goals. This position requires an experienced professional, who is a top performer with outstanding organizational skills, and who has the proven ability to oversee all aspects of STEM Education at the Science Center. The role also develops a cohesive approach to aligning and integrating a range of new and existing initiatives, public programs, and systems that foster an inclusive climate and create a science center for all. Generates partnerships to help drive community outreach and communicates these efforts to external constituents. Empowers others to prioritize belonging as a key practice in their own work, creating an internal culture that places a priority on a welcoming visitor experience.
- Yearly Educational Operative plan consistent with the Imagination Station Strategic Plan.
- Works with the leadership team and Board of Directors to develop and implement a cohesive DEAI plan.
- Oversees community partnerships and assist in key stakeholder engagement.
- Provide leadership and direction of educational programs with a focus on providing great STEM experiences for our visitors.
- Set a clear and focused direction for all of our STEM programs.
- Establish and maintain appropriate systems for ensuring quality science and educational experience through the establishment and maintenance of STEM programs, team training, and expectations and operations guidelines.
- Set clear expectations for all STEM associates.
- Maintain and control departmental expenditures in the operating/capital budgets
- Manage and develop direct reporting team members for improved performance.
- Create a work environment and culture that attracts and maintains diverse, creative and professional team members.
- Lead by example: walk the talk.
- Leader in setting Imagination Station’s science and educational vision and standards, works closely with the Leadership Team to ensure consistency between educational offerings, operations and marketing messages.
- Establish goals and track progress, individuals and departmentally.
- Participate actively in all Leadership Team activities.
- BA/BS in education is preferred or related experience in education, science or museum studies.
- 4-6 years experience in all aspects of education.
- Demonstrated experience in community and/or government relations, community partnerships and outreach.
- Experience in developing solutions and implementing strategies with a focus on diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Proven supervisory experience.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Proficient knowledge of Excel, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong proficiency in educational standards, content development
- Proven organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks within a constant state of increasing activity
- Ability to lead, guide and mentor direct reports
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Strong ability to develop relationships and to work with cross-functional groups
- Very strong verbal and written communication, analytical, and reporting skills
Imagination Station’s mission is to serve our community by providing informal science education and fun in order to spark a passion for the sciences by combining interactive exhibits and educational programming.
Imagination Station, Pure Science, Pure Fun
All applicants must apply on-line at imaginationstationtoledo.org and submit a detail resume outlining job history and experience.
IMAGINATION STATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER