Position: Equestrian Director
Branch: YMCA Storer Camps
Position Type: Full-Time
Pay: $40,000 annually
Be a difference maker, with the YMCA Storer Camps, the overnight camp of the YMCA of Greater Toledo. YMCA Storer Camps is located near Jackson, MI on 1200 acres surrounding Stony Lake.
Storer is a Cause Driven community of collaborative, bold, fun, dedicated individuals, whose passion is the many children, youth and guests that we guide, teach, and provide incredible experiences in an outdoor environment. At camp, you’ll find a dynamic environment and culture that is open, friendly, welcoming, and collaborative. Are you ready to be an inspiring, innovative force that prepares people for success? Their future begins now. And so does yours.
Regardless of your role with us, you’ll find so many things to love when you become part of our team. There’s our fun, challenging work environment. There’s the awesome team and supportive organization. You’ll find that everyone at YMCA Storer Camps has the same goal: to prepare people for success and inspire them to be lifelong learners. Flexible, Creative, Fun, Nurturing, Positive, Inclusive…we’re not just saying it. You’ll find these things being demonstrated here, every day.
The Equestrian Director reports directly to the Director of Operations. The incumbent is responsible to ensure quality animal programs in many areas including but not limited to North Barn, Anderson Small Animal Learning Center, Wright Nature Center, Ranch and more. The Equestrian Director supervises the Equestrian Program staff, full-time, hourly, seasonal, staff from other departments, and volunteers. He/She ensures equine offerings, animal classes and trainings happen in a fun safe manner according to our policies. In addition, this person is in charge of overseeing purchasing for equine and other animals on camp. He/She is responsible for working with the maintenance and program team when it comes to repairs, projects and improvements. The Equestrian Director ensures that all animal programs meet the needs of current and potential customers and program staff maintains the upkeep of facilities, equipment and grounds.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to work well alone and with others. Good judgment is vital especially concerning the safety of our guests, staff and animals. This person needs a strong work ethic and must be responsible. They need to be personable and able to deal with a frightened child or an irate parent. It is a physically demanding job. They need to be able to work outside all day in all kinds of weather. They need to be able to routinely lift 50 lbs. They must be comfortable around horses and other barn animals and have knowledge of care for these animals. Ability to teach about or ride different animals is a must, this includes advanced riding skills on horses. They must be able to communicate instructions in a fun yet informative manner. They need to be a team player that can work within the YMCA Storer Camps structure. They must demonstrate personal leadership. They must be at least 21 years old and current in CPR and first aid for children.
– Oversee the development and supervision of YMCA Storer Camps equine program.
– Develop new program ideas and implement them within our animal program.
– Increase YMCA Storer Camps presence in the community and create new community partners.
– Participate in annual campaign
– Select, purchase, sell and lease out suitable animals for animal related programs.
– Hire and supervise assigned staff and volunteers, including training and evaluating their work.
– Work with the camp veterinarian, feed representative, and farriers and maintenance staff to provide suitable care of the entire herd.
– Responsible to schedule daily feeding, health and care for animals.
– Train and supervise the Equestrian staff (year-round) in daily barn cleaning, care of horses and end of day procedures.
– Ensure horse sense classes; arena lessons, trail rides, grooming activities, and pony rides happen for our guests during the school year. Train other staff to lead and assist in all these activities.
– Oversee the Ranch year round and summer income lines, programming, skill clinics and staff.
– Perform regular inventory, tack checks, fittings and changes. Train staff to be responsible for these also.
– Maintain safety standards.
– Have regularly scheduled meetings with the Supervisor, Staff and Team.
– Work according to the mission and four core values of YMCA Storer Camps.
– Schedule staff to assist with horse transportation when needed.
– Follow standards set by the American Camp Association and state licensing regulations.
– Other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT
The Equestrian Director is part of a staff team that will work together to provide quality camping programs in an environment that fulfills the YMCA’s mission and Core Values of Honesty, Caring, Responsibility and Responsibility. In addition, this team will also be accountable for working in a manner that will ensure the financial stability, which will allow for future growth and development. This position will ensure that guests have a positive experience with horses, that the animals must be properly cared for according to our high standards, and that the facility and equipment must be maintained according to our high standards. The Equestrian Director will always strive to make YMCA Storer Camps animal programs a leader in the camp world running in compliance with all local, state and A.C.A. standards.
Why Work At The Y?
- Future employers respect the Y
When future employers see the Y on your resume, they think of an organization with global ties that has been around for more than 100 years. We have a reputation for hiring good people who do great things.
- Every day is something new
Whenever you work or wherever you work, every day is a new adventure. One moment you’ll be helping kids with homework and the next you’ll be leading a big art project or games outside.
- Free Y membership
When you work for the Y, we offer you all the perks of being a Y member including access to all branches and discounts on classes, child care, and camp.
- The job is designed with your schedule in mind
Part-time and full-time positions are available, making jobs at the Y ideal for anyone!
- The best coworkers ever
Everyone that works at the Y shares a passion for making their communities a better place, especially for kids. Don’t be surprised if you leave your Y with great professional experience and new friends.
Along with competitive pay, the YMCA Storer Camps/YMCA of Greater Toledo offers exceptional benefits which include the following:
- Complimentary YMCA membership for all employees. Full time employees will receive a complimentary YMCA membership for their entire family.
- A rewarding career with professional growth and advancement opportunities
- A challenging and fun work environment with creative and talented individuals.
- Full time employees are eligible to receive quality health insurance (medical, dental and vision) with affordable premiums.
- Full time employees also receive (at no cost to them) Long Term Disability and Life Insurance coverage.
- All employees are eligible to participate in the YMCA’s excellent retirement fund.
The YMCA Storer Camps/YMCA of Greater Toledo is a drug free workplace and is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity prohibiting discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Those interested in applying should send a resume electronically to Melissa Di Fiori, at [email protected]