Toledo Public Schools Foundation operates separately from Toledo Public Schools as a 501c3 entity. TPSF was established in 1987 to provide scholarships to graduates of TPS. With rapid social change, increased diversity, and demands for accountability, the makeup of the education landscape has dramatically changed. Schools in America are facing increasing demands while seeing decreases in resources. Today, the Foundation partners with the school district with a new agenda. We are committed to expand, compliment, and supplement TPS initiatives that assist in moving the district forward. We are actively reaching out to the community to bring funding into the district to provide the resource base necessary to create and operate the public schools of the future.
About the Opportunity:
Toledo Public Schools Foundation is seeking its next dynamic and deeply dedicated executive director to take the helm of a vibrant, healthy, and growing organization to lead its advancement and evolution in its next chapter and beyond. Under the direction of the Board of Directors and in strong partnership with TPS, Toledo Public Schools Foundation has successfully engaged a wealth of partnerships and a broad base of donors, with support from a strong and engaged Board. Building on this solid foundation, momentum, and a period of significant growth, this is an opportunity to develop and clearly define the vision and impact for the future of Toledo Public Schools Foundation.
The executive director will understand the importance of effective operational and financial administration, implementing the best nonprofit management practices, and ensuring the day-to-day operations are aligned with strategic goals. In addition, the executive director will be responsible for conceptualizing, organizing, and implementing a comprehensive and strategic fundraising program in support of TPSF’s mission and strategic priorities.
The executive director will come with an established record of building strong, mutually beneficial partnerships. He/she/they will have the character and confidence to work comfortably in a visible role and to interact effectively with a broad range of constituents, utilizing brand and marketing strategies to elevate TPSF’s recognition. The ideal candidate will excel at working in partnership with and strategically leveraging an exceptional Board. Importantly, this leader will have a deep commitment to building a strong, effective, collaborative and trust-based relationship with Toledo Public Schools.
- Build on past successes by inspiring the creation and implementation of strategies that support and advance the mission of TPSF.
- Work in partnership with the Foundation Board of Directors and TPS Administration and Staff to implement, review, and refine the current strategic plan and implement future strategic planning processes that help define the direction of the organization, establish priorities, and identify funding needs.
- Engage with the Board to ensure everyone is fully informed on the condition and work of the organization and, in furtherance of this goal, ensure that Board meetings and Board committees operate effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure that day-to-day operations are professionally administered, and that appropriate technologies are employed to maximize organizational efficiency and effectiveness;
- Manage financial operations, including financial controls and budgetary planning, human resources, communications, and programs, and ensure that revenue streams are diverse and replenished.
- Manage Program and Grants Coordinator; Anticipate funding needs and engage program staff as needed to ensure that staff have the resources they need to be successful, and to maintain the continuity of important initiatives.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for TPSF, articulating the organization’s programs and mission.
- Initiate, support, and strengthen relationships and collaborations with affinity organizations and leaders who are connected to the mission and purpose of TPSF, and the broader community of Toledo Public Schools.
Resource Development & Alumni Relations
- Responsible for designing and executing a comprehensive fund development strategy, including the following core initiatives: Annual Fund, Major/Capital Gifts, Donor Stewardship, Planned Gifts and Alumni Relations.
- Responsible for leading all donor cultivation, solicitation and recognition,including creating a key prospect list, submitting detailed monthly activity reports and specific moves management strategies and progress updates. Responsible for managing a portfolio of major donors and coordinating visits and meetings between the Superintendent, Board members, and potential donors.
- Initiate funding opportunities with individual donors and others that ensure multiple streams of financial support that build long-term stability.
- Develops methods to train and encourage board involvementin annual fund solicitation, personal giving and donor recognition.
- Is expected to be proactive and develop healthy and productive relationships with all internal stakeholdersand departments to advance and grow an internal culture and commitment to philanthropy.
- Consistently seeks to build relationshipswith board members, staff and administration, alumni groups, other volunteers, community partners and donors. Communicates and coordinates with these groups to ensure that donors are not being over-solicited by multiple TPS representatives.
- Responsible for developing a vibrant Alumni Relationsplan, to include the engagement and cultivation of a diverse and geographically dispersed alumni base. Coordinates and directs alumni events; updates and enhances alumni database using donor management software.
The ideal candidate will bring the following skills, experiences, and characteristics:
- Skilled relationship-builder, able to form and steward partnerships with stakeholders who bring a variety of perspective and priorities.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills. Candidate will be comfortable writing for and presenting to a variety of audiences.
- Motivated and driven self-starter that can manage their own workflow, utilizing strong organizational skills, while also operating as part of a collaborative team.
- Desire to be part of an entrepreneurial and fast-paced organizational culture that prioritizes innovation, continuous learning, humility, partnership, and commitment to the communities we serve.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Business, Marketing or similar degree focus.
- 5-7 years of development experience.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and a sense of humor.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Database experience a plus; experience conducting web research and internet proficiency required.
Salary and Benefits:
Toledo Public Schools Foundation, through partnering with the school district, can offer its Executive Director comprehensive benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with the ideal candidate’s relevant experience.
- Annual Salary: $74,528 – $90,979
- Benefits available after probationary period:
- Health Benefits, Life Insurance, Retirement, Paid Time Off, Life Insurance
How To Apply:
If interested and qualified for this position, please email a cover letter and resume to Adam J. Motycka, TPS Foundation Board Chair, at [email protected].