RESIDENTIAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Beach House Inc., dba Leading Families Home is a 501(c)3 charity serving the Toledo area community for 100 years. We provide resources to support homeless families as they transition to permanent housing. Our Mission is helping families transition from homelessness to permanent housing with the Vision of building a better future for our community by providing life-changing resources. Leading Families Home serves over 1,000 individuals annually, including children.
Our environment is challenging and collaborative. You will have the opportunity to work with individuals dedicated to making a positive impact in our participant’s lives and our community. We are seeking a Part-Time Residential Support Specialist. The position is responsible for providing e services to Beach House Family Shelter residents. The Residential Support Specialists assist clients in the residential housing program and oversee the general, daily functioning of the Beach House Family Shelter facilities.
Experience: Experience working with diverse populations, customer service, excellent communication skills. Experience in meal preparation, housekeeping, sanitizing for groups preferred. Minimum one (1) year experience working with people with mental health and substance use behaviors preferred. Ability to think critically in crisis situations.
- Contributes to day to day operations of the shelter, ensuring a safe and supportive environment
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with clients, staff, donors, volunteers, and interns.
- Provides direct services to clients including, but not limited to: intakes, preparing and serving meals, housekeeping, sanitizing, laundry, hygiene requests, wake-up calls, orienting clients on proper chore completion and shelter related policies, procedures, and forms; provides access to resources, and provide access to medications.
- Documentation of client issues, questions, and/or behaviors.
- Ability to think critically during crisis sitatuions
- Documentation of all activities and interactions with residents while on shift
- Provides crisis management
- Responsible for resident compliance. Responsible to complete resident warnings, write-ups, and any other paperwork required by the Residential Support Coordinator and/or Beach House Inc.
- Documentation of any staff issues, questions, time-off requests, and changes in shift availability
- Monitoring security cameras, ensuring all windows and doors are secure and completing hourly.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and designated trainings
- Assist and/or participate in shelter and community activities
- Maintain a high level of integrity, ethical conduct regarding confidentiality, dual relationships, and professional stature.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries with clients as set forth in the Beach House Inc handbook.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people in a diverse community.
- Ability to monitor, describe, and record client actions and behaviors
- Ability to use a computer to document, check and send emails, ZOOM meetings, etc.
- Ability to work well independently and within a team
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to wear food safety apparel and safely operate kitchen appliances
- Ability to use cleaning and sanitizing chemicals
- Ability to wear face masks for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a vacuum cleaner and sustain repetitive motion
- Ability to stand, walk, and work on feet for extended periods of time
- Ability to effectively manage workdays and time
- Ability to bend, reach, climb stairs, lift 40-50 lbs, push/pull 50 lb items up/down the stairs, move furniture, lift garbage bags, food and move-in baskets, and lift children.
- Ability to work with children from newborn to 17 years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid CPR & First Aid Certification (must be obtained within 30 days of employment)
- Ability to pass pre-employment drug screen and yearly BCI/FBI background checks
- Serve Safe Certification required or the ability to obtain within 90 days of employment
- QMHS, CDCA, Peer Support Certification preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- If in recovery, must have at least two years of continuous sobriety
Reports to: Shelter Manager
Schedule: As determined by supervisor/Shelter Manager
Physical demands described are representative of those that must be routinely met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to perform job responsibilities in facilities with multiple levels and without elevator or mechanical transportation,
- Operates a computer and keyboard/repetitive finger movement.
Working conditions described are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Smoke-free working environment
- Drug and alcohol-free working environment
- Weapons free working environment
- Adheres to Beach House, Inc.’s policies and procedures
- Acts as a role model inside and outside of the organization
- Performs other duties deemed necessary for the benefit of Beach House, Inc.
Beach House, Inc. dba Leading Families Home is an equal employment opportunity employer that selects the individual who is the best match for a position based on job-related qualifications, without regard to race, color, creed, sex, national origin, religion, sexual preference, age, disability, genetic information, or other protected group status.
This position description is not intended to be a completed list of all responsibilities, duties or a skill required for the job and is subject to review and change in accordance with the needs of Beach House, Inc. dba Leading Families Home and contractual obligations.
Like most American employers, LFH does not offer employees formal contracts of employment. Rather all employment is “at will,” meaning that either you or the Company may end your employment at any time for any reason.