Community Engagement Specialist Position Description
Position Title: Schools as Community Hubs – Community Engagement Specialist
Supervisor: Christine Sweeney, Executive Director, Art Tatum Zone
Additional daily support and supervision provided by the school principal. Ongoing training and support is facilitated and provided by the Art Tatum Zone and Toledo Public Schools.
The Community Engagement Specialist will guide and implement the exploratory process in Escuela SMART Academy and gather information to implement the “Schools as Community Hubs” strategy to provide a greater quality of life for the people who live, work, visit, study and play in the community surrounding Escuela SMART. Working within the framework of the “Schools as Community Hubs” model, the Community Engagement Specialist will translate data collected related to community assets and needs into programmatic applications and activities. The core responsibilities of this position include relationship building, partner development and maintenance. The Community Engagement Specialist must be an expert communicator across a variety of platforms, from printed word to various social media outlets.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bilingual candidates are strongly preferred.
- Experience conducting surveys in a community setting
- Experience in any of the following: Community, labor, or parent organizing
- Effective communication skills, including writing skills
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Creativity, sound judgment and the ability to work at times with minimal direction. Must be a self starter.
- Driver’s license and car
- Facilitate community conversations and focus groups with diverse groups to share information and resources as well as collect information that will inform the planning and implementation of Hub strategies, initiatives and program investments.
- Use an asset-based community development model to develop relationships of trust and mutual respect with civic, religious, and social organizations serving key demographic groups.
- Serve as a brand ambassador when discussing the Hub’s strategic direction and priorities.
- Work with other community investment groups and identify opportunities to collaborate, layer, and leverage each other’s portfolio of investments for the purpose of maximizing lasting community impact.
- Establish relationships and credibility among community leadership, advocates, business stakeholders, elected officials and residents.
- Attend community meetings on behalf of Escuela SMART Academy to hear community concerns, provide information about community engagement, and advocate for participation.
- Mobilize government, non-profit, small business, and other community stakeholders around common community goals in support of the collective impact approach to community results.
- Develop systems to distribute information to community residents and implement creative use of social media platforms to increase community engagement and dialogue.