The Senior Associate Vice President of Development and Campaign Manager is a key leadership role within the advancement division, responsible for providing strategic leadership, direction, and oversight to the Foundation’s fundraising and development efforts. This role requires a seasoned professional with a deep understanding of philanthropy, strategic planning, relationship-building, and effective team management. The Senior Associate Vice President of Development reports directly to the Vice President for Advancement and collaborates closely with other senior leadership members to develop and execute comprehensive fundraising strategies that support the institution’s mission, goals, and financial sustainability and future campaign initiatives.
- Work in collaboration with the Vice President for Advancement and other senior leaders to develop and execute a comprehensive advancement strategy aligned with the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic priorities.
- Supervise all major gifts activity on the Main, Health Science campuses and UToledo Health.
- Provide input on long-term planning, goal setting, and performance metrics for the advancement division.
- Identify opportunities for growth and expansion of fundraising initiatives to enhance donor engagement and support.
Fundraising and Donor Relations:
- Develop and oversee major gift programs and fundraising efforts.
- Lead major gift cultivation and solicitation efforts by personally managing a portfolio of high-level donors and prospects.
- Collaborate with development officers to cultivate and steward strong relationships with key donors, alumni, foundations, and corporate partners to secure significant financial contribution.
- Identify and target new funding opportunities, partnerships, and grant possibilities to diversify the organization’s funding sources.
- Collaborate with prospect research team to identify and prioritize potential major donors and support.
- Develop personalized cultivation and solicitation strategies for individual prospects, managing a portfolio of high-potential donors.
Leadership and Team Management:
- Provide leadership and guidance to the development team, including hiring, training, mentoring, and performance evaluation of staff members.
- Foster a collaborative and results-driven team environment to achieve fundraising goals.
- Provide guidance and professional development opportunities to ensure the team’s success in achieving fundraising goals.
- Oversee the planning, execution, and management of comprehensive fundraising campaigns, including feasibility studies, goal setting, solicitation strategies, and progress tracking.
- Oversee campaign goals and initiatives with senior leadership.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including academic leaders, faculty, alumni, community partners, and other relevant groups.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Collaborate closely with other departments to align fundraising efforts with broader institutional goals.
- Communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, presenting the organization’s case for support and demonstrating the impact of donor contributions.
Data-Driven Decision Making:
- Utilize data and analytics to assess the effectiveness of fundraising initiatives, track progress toward goals, and make informed decisions for strategy adjustments.
- Manage the development budget, allocating resources appropriately to achieve fundraising objectives while ensuring financial responsibility.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive leadership experience in advancement, fundraising, or development.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, including experience with major gifts and campaign management.
- Strong leadership and management skills, with the ability to motivate and develop a high-performing team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Integrity, impeccable ethics, initiative, enthusiasm, sense of humor and the ability to establish trust and credibility.
- Strategic thinking and the ability to translate vision into actionable plans.
- Knowledge of best practices in advancement, fundraising ethics, and industry trends.
- Experience working with senior leadership and board members.
- Proficiency in using fundraising software and CRM systems.
- A commitment to the organization’s mission and values.
- Passion for the institution’s mission, traditions and long-term success. Consistently demonstrate the mission, vision and values of the Foundation and the University.
- Our RITE Values – Respect, Integrity, Transparency & Teamwork, and Excellence .
- Outstanding written and verbal skills. Must be able to develop interpersonal relationships with multiple constituents.
- Demonstrate commitment and ability to:
- Provide quality customer service.
- Plan, organize and remain accountable for actions.
- Problem solve utilizing critical thinking skills.
- Function in a confidential manner.
- Collaborate with other staff.