Job Title: Senior Public Relations Manager
Department: Brand Experience
Reports To: Director of Brand Strategy
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-Time
Annual Compensation: $69,528 – $84,979
Deadline to Apply: June 01, 2023
Since our founding in 1901, the Toledo Museum of Art has earned a global reputation for the quality of our collection, our innovative and extensive education programs, and our architecturally significant campus.
And thanks to the benevolence of its founders, as well as the continued support of its members, TMA remains a privately endowed, non-profit institution and opens its collection to the public, free of charge.
Working within the Brand Experience team at the Toledo Museum of Art, the Senior Public Relations Manager is a leader and expert communicator who guides our public relations and publishing efforts, including TMA’s magazine, annual report, and social content. We seek an experienced practitioner who can identify and implement innovative approaches that make TMA’s stories stand out and further establish the Museum as a thought leader.
The Senior Public Relations Manager will be a key leader within the Marketing and Communications team, someone with a broad understanding of how communications, design, and craft help distinguish the Museum and make relevant connections with visitors and the broader public. They will lead and motivate colleagues within the Marketing and Communications team, and invite strong collaboration across key departments, such as the Director’s Office, Curatorial, Development, Learning & Interpretation, and Belonging & Community Engagement.
Additionally, this role will serve as a key point person for external agencies who provide PR, design, and social media services to TMA. This role will provide vision, insight and ideas so each agency can provide strong outcomes on behalf of the Museum.
The Toledo Museum of Art is committed to a strategic plan that creates a more inclusive experience, where a high-quality collection meets a culture of belonging. All communication efforts at TMA must explore unique and relevant ways to express these strategic goals and our values of diversity, community, innovation, and trust.
- Leads public relations with local, regional, and national press, and coordinates internal and external agency resources to fulfill all press releases and press events opportunities
- Acts as editor-in-chief for arTMAtters magazine and the Annual Report, establishing the vision for each issue and coordinating key contributors, such as writers, designers, and photographers
- Builds strong relationships with key Museum leaders in order to understand where the Museum is going and what will make TMA noteworthy in the public eye
- Maintains innovative approaches that distinguish TMA and creates relevance with the public
- Helps shape and implement social media content in collaboration with Marketing and Communications team colleagues and external agencies
- Serves as a mentor within the Marketing and Communications team; acts as a sounding board for team members to find solutions and provide results
- On rare occasions, helps address crisis management communications with the Director of Brand Strategy and the Museum Director
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree (in a related field) preferred
- 10+ years’ experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or publishing role required
- 7+ years’ team leadership and management experience required
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE, COMPETENCIES, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent writing, editing, and communications skills
- Enjoys collaboration across departments and disciplines
- Organized and can manage multiple simultaneous projects
- Has a passion for museums, art, and the strategic vision of the Toledo Museum of Art
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Standard open office work environment shared with co-workers, with related phone, computer and printer noise. Position requires ability operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, printer and phone system; May occasionally lift up to 25 pounds; Support given to various departments across campus may result in occasional exposure to uncomfortable weather conditions.
- 25 Days of Paid Time Off Annually
- 6 Paid Holidays Annually
- 2 Floating Holidays Annually
- 3 Paid Volunteer Days Annually
- Birthday Paid Day Off
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Savings Plan
- Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Term Life and AD&D Insurance Plans
- Paid Parental Leave
- Pet Insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Museum Family Membership
- Employee Discounts in the Museum Store, Café, Studio Art Classes, & More!
The Toledo Museum of Art provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants. No person shall be discriminated against in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal or state statutes. The Museum is committed to maintaining an environment in which all employees are treated equitably and given the opportunity to achieve their full potential in the workplace. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Human Resources at [email protected] or (567)-666-0387.